As I mentioned in my previous post, about 2 months ago my CNC controller caught fire and filled the garage with toxic, caustic smoke. Everything had to be removed for cleaning. All my power tools, every table, hand tool and even hardware supplies had to be taken to a facility for cleaning. All of the drywall, shelving, cabinets and fixtures had to be torn out. When the drywall was removed a section of wall joists and base plate were found to be rotted because of a long term problem with water coming in under the wall when we got heavy rain.
I found a very good contractor, Brickhouse Handyman to do the repairs and install new drywall. Last week a couple carpenters came in to replace the rotted wood and here’s a panoramic picture of how it looked at that point:
Last Friday they started installing new insulation and drywall.
I obviously was worried about water coming in when it storms and ruining all the new work, so after some recommendations I decided to install a “French Drain” to redirect water coming off the roof through the gutter. I knew it would be a lot of work, but was not quite prepared for how much. Saturday I spent several hours just removing sod in preparation for digging a trench and hole for the storm water basin. My daughter came over on Sunday to help and we spent several hours digging. We completed the trench and got the hole for the basin only about halfway deep. My contractor supplied a guy to help finish digging yesterday.
At the end of the day yesterday my wife and I managed to get most of the dirt put back. I’ll put the sod back in later today. As could be expected, there’s a lot of dirt left over and I’m going to need to raise my garden bed for a place to put it. The work never ends…
1 thought on “Work on the Garage”
I burst out laughing when I saw you posted my picture. Awesome work!