September? How did it get to be September already? In the 6 weeks since my last post I’ve completed a tremendous amount of work in the garage and the shop is nearly finished. Here’s a visual tour…
This is my main workbench and for the last couple of months it’s mainly been a rust removal station. After I finished de-rusting power tools I got started on screws, bolts and hardware. Up to around a 4th of the hardware in parts bins suffered corrosion damage from the fire’s smoke. They’ve been cleaned in a rust removal bath followed by drying with a heat gun to prevent further corrosion.
My new metal working lathe. I’ve only used it once to chamfer the ends of some aluminum rods. This is the only workstation that needs to be completely organized yet.
A workbench I use for staging and planning.
One of the workbenches that make up a sanding island. Here’s my belt and spindle sanders.
The second sanding workbench. Here’s a mini belt sander, my Microlux thickness sander and the Jet drum sander. The Jet sander works well on wood down to about 1/8″, then the Microlux can get it down to 1/32″ or veneer thickness.
My custom 3D printer.
My router table, which has for weeks been used for sorting hardware. The water is to clean the little plastic parts bins, about half had corrosion residue in them. I have a LOT of screws and bolts to sort out yet.
The bandsaw with a new blade and wedge for resawing.
The storage cabinets which will eventually be a painting and gluing station, but has also been a staging area for sorting hardware.
The sharpening/grinding workstation.
Think I have enough hardware?
Here’s the bulk of my wood collection. Pieces too large to fit on the shelves are on wall and ceiling mounted racks as well.
More hardware and wood storage.
This workbench has my cut-off saws and a new Rikon planer.
My new clamp storage rack and an electronics workbench.
My drill press and miniature table saw.
My table saw.
A paint spray booth I built.
Here’s my new CNC machine on the workbench I made for it.
A rear view of the CNC machine. I was building a 4th axis for the machine when this picture was taken.
The finished 4th axis for the CNC machine. I saved about $2,000 by making this sliding mount myself.
I still have a little bit of work, most notably in completing the organization of a couple of workstations and continuing with the hardware cleaning and sorting, but I’m ready to start making things again! See you again soon.